On November 8, 2016, California voters approved the Adult Use of Marijuana Act (AUMA) – Prop 64. Since 2012, 18 states and Washington, DC, have legalized cannabis for adults over the age of 21. 37 states have legalized medical marijuana — meaning that a majority of Americans have access to cannabis, whether medically or recreationally. Under the California State law, adults aged 21 years or older may possess and use marijuana for recreational purposes.
Businesses may sell cannabis for recreational use by acquiring a state license. The measure created two new taxes, on cultivation and the other on retail price. Revenue from the new taxes will be spent on drug research, treatment, and enforcement, health and safety grants addressing marijuana, youth programs, and preventing environmental damage resulting from illegal cannabis production.
Tierra West has successfully advanced efforts assisting local urban and rural communities with the development and implementation of regulatory compliant cannabis programs bringing maximum economic benefits to the municipal body, the civic community and the business sector. Tierra West’s cannabis services range from the development of strategic plans for a full public regulatory compliant program, including regulatory ordinances and zoning studies to development of economic development and taxation options, procurement services through program implementation, contract administration and compliance, and monitoring services.
Tierra West has developed a Cannabis Management Program with former professional government policy and experienced industry leaders that have a proven track record of success and practical experience in this relatively new and developing field. We excel at bringing creative solutions tailored for specific community needs and take a solution-orientated approach based on best practices.
Current successful cannabis projects include:
• City of Anaheim – Cannabis – provided ordinance and ballot implementation strategies, RFP evaluation instruments, licensing and compliance and monitoring guidance.
• City of Montebello – Cannabis – provided initial RFP evaluations of 39 responses for cannabis licensees; moving onto the next implementation level, including ongoing implementation and planning services; ordinance amendments.
• City of Lynwood – Cannabis – provided initial RFP evaluation of 25 cannabis responses for licensees; drafted development agreements, provided planning and implementation services; ordinance amendments.
• City of Adelanto – Cannabis – implemented the City ordinance for 119 cannabis responses for licensees; planning and building plan review and development; ordinance amendments.
• City of Cudahy – Cannabis – have begun a partnership to assist the City with implementing a Cannabis Management Program.
Tierra West also provides the following support services under our Cannabis Management Program:
• Legislative Support
• Legislative Representation
• State and Federal Legal Interpretation and Compliance
• Government Affairs Strategies
• Strategic Plan Development
• Regulatory Ordinance Design and Development
• Regulatory Permit Development
o Ordinance and Permit Compliance Inspections
• Land Use Zoning Analysis and Recommendations
o Zoning Ordinances
o General Plan Amendments
o Condition Compliance Reviews
o Regulatory compliance
• MCRSA Compliance
• Economic Development
o Development of taxation options to promote maximization of public agency revenue enhancement opportunities
• Financial Audits
• Revenue Projections
• Financial Modeling
• Banking Solutions for application and taxation payments
• Procurement Services
o Request for Proposal Document Development
o Request for Qualification Document Development
• Application Processing
o Due Diligence Review
o Financial and Property Analysis
o Building Inspection
o Plan and Compliance Inspections
o Financial Feasibility Analysis
o Background Checks
• Program and Administrative support for the implementation of public program
• Urban and Rural Program Development
• Data Collection
• Permit Processing
o Cost Recovery Fees
• Contract Administration
o Vendor Development Agreements
• Educational presentations which keeps the community and business partners informed about the program and processes.
• Community Outreach Initiatives
It is critical that all municipalities managing or setting up a Cannabis program within its jurisdiction be ready and fully informed on the requirements of operating a State compliant program.
TWA offers comprehensive regulatory and operations solutions to help public agencies navigate the complexities of the evolving cannabis industry. TWA takes great pride in developing creative, forward-thinking growth strategies formulated to allow the client the flexibility to remain State compliant, maximize its revenue and afford the business community a commerce friendly operating environment.
TWA has developed a Cannabis Management Program with former professional government policy and experienced industry leaders with a proven track record of success and practical experience in this new and emerging field. We excel at developing solutions specifically tailored for the specific community needs and take a solution-orientated approach based on best practices.
Contact us today if you are interested in hearing more!